Monday, May 23, 2011

poison

The weekend before last, I decided to do a little yardwork. I don't do much since I rent and the landlord does the mowing - but a storm had knocked down some trees and branches into the yard. And instead of cleaning them up, they just mowed around them.

So, armed with a really wicked tree pruner, I went after those branches and tore through them. And of course, I got more than I bargained for.

Poison oak - or sumac. Doesn't matter what it was except that I got a bad case on both arms. It didn't really hit me at first, but this past weekend it went into overdrive. The itch was maddening. And, try as I might, I couldn't stop scratching. I'd do okay for a bit, then the madness would strike and I'd tear into my arms like I had a flesh-eating scarab beetle burrowing into my... well... flesh. And to make matters worse, I've actually made some progress on breaking my lifelong habit of biting my nails. So, when I dig in - I can really dig in.

On Sunday, I had an appointment to donate blood - a double red donation. Not really sure of the protocol I went anyway and I signed in. It was at a Best Buy and they were giving out gift cards and t-shirts. They handed me a gift card when I signed in and sat down to read the red book. The woman seated next to me was getting an explanation of the double red. The women decided against it - mainly, it appeared, because she would only get one gift card. I could tell that the staff were a little disgusted by that as well. I went back to do the history and did the full disclosure. The staff member took a look at my arms and said the poison was too close to where the needle would go in and they wouldn't be able to to disinfect it properly.

They thanked me for coming in anyway and offered me a shirt. I declined and returned my gift card as I left.

Kind of a bummer, but at least I tried - and I'll try again once the poison is gone.

Today, I was bad enough to take off of work and go to a stat care. They gave me a prescription and suggested a few things - and I think genuinely felt bad for me.

So, I'm on drugs and covered in Calimine lotion. I'll do another shower tonight and slather it on before I go back to work tomorrow.

Oh, and I've got a head cold too. Yea.

No comments:

Post a Comment