Tuesday, April 19, 2011

standing and walking - but not talking

Today is day four of my Standing Desk experiment. I'd read about some studies that said that sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day can lead to some health problems, so I bought a cheap set of plastic shelves and configured them to sit on top of the cubicle on my desk. I still need to work on the height a bit, but otherwise I'm getting used to it. My feet are bothering though. I've got a foam pad that I'm using, but it's not enough and either shoes or no shoes, they still are uncomfortable. I'll give it a few more days and see how it goes - I can pretty easily revert back if needed.

I took myself for a walk last night - I was in the mood for hot chocolate and made a trip to starbucks. Total 2.9 miles. This is on top of the 30 laps I got in the pool at lunch + standing up all day. I slept pretty well last night as a result - once I finally turned off the video games and went to bed.

My phone is being a little...what's the phrase I'm looking for? Oh, right. Ham Doctor.

The screen won't go dark at the preset 7 seconds... or any number of seconds, apparently. So, the battery drains like it's trying to get a signal from Pluto. Which is, in fact, still a planet. A dwarf planet, but that's still real - right? I mean, it's not like the movie is suddenly called, "Snow White and the Seven _______"?

Anyway, it sucks. I charged it up last night and this afternoon I'm already down to one battery bar - which doesn't mean anything, apparently. I've seen it sit on one bar for days (though not recently) and other times I'll go from full bars to a plaintive beeping as it approaches shutdown in minutes.

You know, I'm pretty much indifferent to smart phones. People that have them seem to enjoy them. I'm on a computer 8+ hours a day so I kinda like to unplug. But I don't begrudge them.

I don't have a smart phone. I have an ordinary phone. Which apparently translates to "non-functional".

The really crappy part is that I can't even enjoy hating them since I'm stuck in another 2 year contact. Ugh.

I'm going to try a factory reset and a cell tower reset when I get home and see if that fixes the "no bars of any kind" issues I'm having. If not, I'm going back to the Verizon store. I don't care how shiny the phone is, I'm really getting tired of paying too much money a month for a phone that doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment