Friday, October 23, 2009

Black eyed susan


That seems like a really horrible name for a flower, doesn't it? Sounds like some kind of domestic abuse situation among flora. I was actually going for a sunflower on these, but it couldn't find the right paper for the center.

A few years ago, I made a shadow box for my grandmother of an origami sun with a blue sky. It was a Christmas present - thought it might brighten up a winter's day. She really liked it and hung it in her kitchen.

Over the summer, one of my aunts asked if I would make one for her as well. I considered it for a while, but had some qualms about duplicating a gift like that. Then my grandmother moved in with my aunt and uncle - and took the sun box with her. Which made a duplicate seem even less appropriate.

I thought about this for a bit, then bought a new empty shadow box and got some green grass paper for a background and some bright yellow - and made four of these flowers in a box for my aunt. She has four children so it seemed fitting.

I presented this wrapped package to her recently and she said "I bet I know what this is!". She was mostly right, but the flowers surprised her. We had a laugh when I told her she was holding it upside down.

Grandma has since moved to a nursing home - I'm not sure if the sun picture went with her as well. In any case, I got one of my pending origami requests covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment