Friday, October 23, 2009

thunder of wade




This is the I Ching symbol for Thunder or Shock. Or the "arousing shock of thunder". It's part of a divination system with coin flips that can help predict the future. I'm not sure I buy into that as much as I do fortune cookies, but it's a neat little symbol for the very essence of surprise. I always tell people that I don't like being surprised, but that's really to prevent them from trying to do it on purpose. The accidental surprise? That's golden.

So, I got this as a tattoo on my inner left wrist. A location that - should I need to - I can cover with a watchband. A reminder that the best parts of life are surprises.


When I was growing up, I went by my middle name - Wade. I think there was some concern that people would mispronounce my last name even more if Anthony got shortened to the very Italian sounding Tony. So, instead of Anthony - I was Wade.

When I got into college, the process of sorting that out with people and especially my professors got to be a pain and I decided to start using Anthony. This created a dichotomy - my family and friends from my youth call me Wade and my my co-workers and adult friends call me Anthony. My parents never really got used to the switch - my Mom still introduces me to people as Anthony and then in the next breathe she'll say to me -"Wade, where's your sister?"

I've always believed that people don't really change - that they just become more of themselves as they get older. There are exceptions to this, but I don't think it would hurt to start bringing back a little more of my Wade. I've added it back into my signature file in my email - and for a geek that's a huge deal - and I've added it to the title of this blog.

What does it all mean? Sort of a surprise at changing back into an older mindset? Eh, I don't really know. The names I first tried for this new blog were all taken and I settled on this one. I like it, but I don't entirely understand it. Which I think is just as well.

If anyone asks, just tell them it's a variation on the band "Fountains of Wayne".

1 comment:

  1. I'm your first follower. I feel special. And, I made this post. "Wade, where is your sister?" And, I like that you are going to try to be more positive. I think that would be good for you. Good, but extremely difficult. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete