Thursday, February 4, 2010

The great chair debate

My room-mate recently got a coupon for 55% off furniture at a local store - with a very short time frame. Setting aside the likelihood that this is a variation on the "high-pressure" sales approach and that the furniture was likely marked up a lot before then being marked down - well, we do need a new recliner.

So, off to the furniture store and the great debate begins. After what felt like forever, we finally narrowed it down. To two recliners. At that point, we finally got greeted by a sales clerk and she went off to get some paperwork while we got things sorted out. Color, fabric, size, brand, construction, the color of the other furniture in the living room - all were fiercely debated. I really liked the hidden mechanism in the pleather chair and it was cheaper, but in the end we went with the more practical and standard recliner.

Debate settled, we headed upstairs with the clerk to the payment area. The one payment clerk was busy, so Jeff (who had decided he would be the one buying the chair) decided to visit the restroom. As soon as he left, another payment clerk came over and since a line was forming, I stepped up and finished the paperwork - and presented my credit card. Not a big deal since we were splitting the cost anyway, but I think he was surprised since we were almost done by the time he got back.

The chair will be available on Monday and we're going to go pick it up - to save the $50 delivery fee. I'm also going to buy a door to make into a desk - the van we'll use for the chair should have enough room to make it in one trip.

In other news... I was at the locker room at the gym yesterday, getting changed after my swim. An older guy came in after a run and sat down at the other end of the bench. I normally don't make much small talk with strangers in the gym, but I noticed that the guy just... stopped moving. Not sure if he was about to keel over, I asked, "Are you okay?"

"Oh yeah," he replied.
"You just seemed to go on 'pause' there for a minute," I said and he laughed.
"No, I'm fine. I must look really bad after my run. A few weeks ago two people came up to me after I was done and said they knew CPR,"

By this point I was done getting dresses and he wished me a good day as I headed out. I know CPR as well - though it's been a while since I had a refresher. :)

Finally, work has been really intense this week. I'm getting a lot done, but new things keep coming up. This morning has been a little quiet and I'm hoping to get caught up. Our team is getting ready to move to a new office, but the boss has been strangely reluctant to give us a definitive time frame. I already started clearing out the junk from my current cubicle before I move into my new - smaller - cubicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment