Thursday, February 17, 2011

giving up on a book and on zinc

Given any kind of downtime and I'm likely to be found with my nose in a book. I love to read and the shelves in my own library at home are full to overflowing. So, it's pretty rare for me to "give up" on a book - that is, start and then not finish.

I've been reading Engineman by Eric Brown. It started off pretty good and I enjoyed the first half - then I realized that the plot...

"Down on his luck spaceman falls for the token sci-fi chick and together they fight alongside the quasi-mystical aliens against an evil corporation that is destroying the environment"

...is the same as every single "grade B sci-fi movie" of the past 20 years. Even freaking Avatar had the same plot. Once the big reveal of the environmental damage showed up, I pulled my bookmark out and closed the book. Enough of that mess. Apparently, Paris gets destroyed later on, but I really can't be bothered.

I'm starting to feel that way about the TV show "V". The plot is so freaking transparent - I know how each episode is going to end in the first 5 minutes. And the big reveal of a character from the original series was marred - she just sits in the basement of the starship and has made a lifestyle out of being cranky. Really, Diana? That's all you're going to do?

I find myself almost rooting for the bad guys - at least they have a semblance of a plan.

In other news, I'm still sick. Bubonic Halitosis, I think. This stupid cough just won't quite go away. I read yesterday on the internet (so you know it's true) that Zinc is awesome for halting cold symptoms. I bought and tried some last night and discovered:

1. It tastes like cherry flavored crap.
2. The taste lingers.
3. It doesn't do anything.

Now, I guess you're supposed to take this when you first get sick - but I was still expecting more than just a bad taste.

So, I'm at work - and wearing a tie - already counting down the hours until I get to go home for the day. Not a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment