Sunday, November 15, 2009

Filled with Yule

I went to the dentist on Friday - which is sort of a big deal for me. I went six months ago, but before that it had been years. And I was supposed to schedule a follow up for fillings, but never did. So, Friday was a check-up, cleaning, x-rays, and 2 fillings.

I got there a little early and filled out the appropriate paperwork - then went back for x-rays. Which I despise. The plastic they put in your mouth usually makes me gag, but this time it was pretty easy - though the xray machine wouldn't hold it's position. We both finally gave up and I held it in position. Then they stuck some kind of camera on a stick in my mouth to take photos.

Over to the chair and the dentist put the fruit flavors numbing agent in my mouth - then came "the pinch"

Now, let's take a break for a moment to discuss this. It doesn't feel like a pinch. I've been pinched before and this is not the same. They say the same thing when I give blood. Why is that? Do they think we don't know or that it somehow makes it better. Well, it doesn't. It's not a pinch, it's someone jamming a needle into your flesh. It may "sound" better, but it's a lie.

So, while I'm numbing up nicely I switch chairs and they do the cleaning - while giving the standard lecture about flossing and such. I think they wait until they've got both hands and someone's left foot in your mouth before they start the tirade so you can't protest.

Switched chairs again and by this point I'm really numb on my right side and getting sleepy. If I'd been a bit more reclined while waiting for the dentist, I would have fallen asleep.

They wake me the rest of the way up and get started. The right side goes okay, but the left doesn't have enough drugs, so they numb that some more. Now I've got 4 hands and a toaster oven in my mouth and they still tried to carry on a conversation with me.

Things went pretty smoothly and I was out of there on schedule. I stopped at Dairy Queen for a milkshake since I was still numb and went back to work.

And right into a meeting. Not a very productive one - lots of reasonably polite arguing. A short break and then into a conference call - which had me worried but my numbness had worn off and I was able to talk. It was still a rough ending to the week.

But not quite the end. Since I'd missed my lunchtime swim, I decided to go after work. I was pretty tired even starting out and the energy drink didn't help. Still managed to do 21 laps, but I was exhausted when I was done.

On Saturday, I listened to Christmas music while I worked on my redneck katana. It was good stuff, non-traditional and upbeat. But it didn't work. Still didn't really get into the Christmas spirit. Yeah, it's a little early, but I thought with all the holiday decorations up it might kick in. Seems like I get less in the spirit every year. Ah, well, at least I've still got Halloween. Plenty of "spirit" there.

Well, I think the paint should be dry by now, time to go check on that. And then maybe do some reading. Been reading a really excellent book called The Digital Plague by Jeff Sommers.

No comments:

Post a Comment